Monday, April 6, 2009

Homophobia vs Email Funnies

Well here's a controversial start to this blog.

A friend just sent me, as he often does, some funnies by email. Normally I just look through, laugh if they're funny, forward them to others if they're worth it and then forget them. This evening, though, I didn't find the joke funny and then, immediately afterwards, received another email from a LGBT organisation containing an article detailing a spate of fatal hate crimes against gay and trans people in Turkey. (Link to the article)
I reacted by emailing my friend with a copy of the article and pointing out the connection with his "funny". Did I over react? Should I just turn a blind eye to humour which ridicules LGBT people knowing that he hasn't seen the danger?

No comments:

Post a Comment